Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Necktie Eyeglass Case

Pin It

Spoiler alert: If you are a dad in my family, look away!
neck tie eyeglass case


While reading my magazines in the bath the other day (yes, ahhh...it was wonderful, a rare occasion), I came across a cute Father's Day gift idea in the June Country Living (page 48).  It read, "Transform a traditional necktie into nifty eyeglass case for dear old Dad.  So off to the thrift store I went....

I think I over paid for my ties, but they were there and I was there and well, frankly, with three kids, sometimes that's as good as it's gonna get.

First step is to cut the tie 17 inches from the point.

The inside of the tie is where the glasses will be held.  Only one of my ties needed a quick seem ripper action down the middle.
Of course this ended up opening up the entire thing so I needed to glue it back together.

"Sewing with a tube"...how much better can it get?

I used glue on another tie that had a flap where eyeglass frames would probably get caught.

My third tie had a cushiony filler that also needed a little glue.

After patching up the loose areas, fold the length of the tie over the back, tucking in the very end about an inch for a finished look.  One of my ties that had the cushiony filler needed the inside cut out about one inch from the end to keep it from getting too thick when folded.

Whip stitch along the top and sides, being careful not to sew the pouch closed.

Attach velcro to the tips and coordinating area when closed.  I used the softer side of the velcro where the eyeglasses would slide in to avoid scratches.

Cute huh?

Unfortunately when gluing one of the ties, some of the glue bled through the fabric resulting in a couple small stains on the front.  Soooo......

Buttons!






linking to the following party: Keeping It Simple  Beyond The Picket Fence  

10 comments:

  1. I made these a couple of years ago with my kids! It was great fun, and easy to do. Mike keeps his in his car for his sunglasses. We also made one for both the grandpa's... and because the kids liked the idea so much, we made them each one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, what a cute blog and an adorable family you have! A good friend of mine Missy, sent me your site to check out. I love your craftiness:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Getting the eyeglass holders mailed out today. It's great because they fit in a traditional envelope. I'll probably pop a couple extra stamps on just in case though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. Thanks for the tutorial! (this link was shared on homepodge.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to print this out so I can have a 4th of July project with my Grand-Daughters. Nothing printed out past the tape measure tie. Please email me the instructions. I would really appreciate it.
    Nancy nances@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial...Happy SITS day by the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were featured today!
    Come grab a button!

    http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/10/good-morning-sunshine_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been looking for a way to re-purpose old ties for some time. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated and I would love to hear from you!