Monday, October 17, 2011

Easy Bat Costume

Pin It
bat costume easy black sweatshirt

Check out this easy bat costume I made for my son! He wore it two years in a row for Halloween, and I see someone in my house sportin' it a couple times a month on a regular basis. It's held up very well to lots of wear and tear and was so quick and easy!



 I took a youth large black sweatshirt and cut off the arms. 

 I rolled it under itself as I sewed a seem with my machine.
(Note: the above two pictures are from my owl costume with same techniques.)

There is about three inches left of the shoulders after the hem.

I cut a piece of black felt into the shape of wings.  Measure your kid's arms to get an idea of what size to make them.  For added stability, I cut two sets of wings, sewed them back to back and pulled them through like I was making a pillow.

I sewed the wings to the back of the neck of the sweatshirt (at the same time sewing the last section of wings together).

I cut the wrists off the sleeves of the sweatshirt and sewed a hem on the raw end.  Then I sewed it to the inside of the wings.  


For a hat we used a ski mask with two triangles sewed to the top for ears.

Bat mask easy costume halloween

I discovered this costume idea in the October 2008 issue of Parenting magazine.



Linking up to these parties: Todays Creative Blog
Creative Itch
The Southern Institute

2 comments:

Comments are much appreciated and I would love to hear from you!