Wednesday, September 1, 2010

MTV Real World New Orleans Interior Design Shutter Wall

Pin It
I was catching up on my "quality" television shows this week when I noticed a wall of shutters on MTV's Real World in New Orleans.
PHOTOS COURTESY of MTV's 'THE REAL WORLD: NEW ORLEANS'

This shutter wall consists of five long shutters, and one skinny paneled door.  All different colors and very shabby, they are hung at varying heights on a wall in a billiard room off the kitchen.  A framed stained glass piece is hung in front of the shutters.  Dave Walker of the Times-Picayune describes the shutters as a nod to Hurricane Katrina damage.  The general concept reminds me mucho of my own shutter wall and evoked both positive and negative emotions for my psyche.  "Hey, that was my idea jerks!" to "Oh cool, look how hip I am!"

PHOTOS COURTESY of MTV's 'THE REAL WORLD: NEW ORLEANS'
Charles Aubrey, freelance production designer, used shutters in the busy family room on the wall behind the piano, and leaning against the wall over the fireplace mantel.

PHOTOS COURTESY of MTV's 'THE REAL WORLD: NEW ORLEANS'
Shutters were also used to border windows in one of the extravagantly decorated bedrooms.

PHOTOS COURTESY of MTV's 'THE REAL WORLD: NEW ORLEANS'
Check out the office.  Maybe my next wall should be decorated in dressers?  My husband would love this!  Lauren LaBorde, in an article on the Best of New Orleans Blog, writes "Sundry bedroom furniture items found discarded in front of people's houses, then piled along the wall as if a flood is imminent (perhaps it's an homage to hurricane evacuees)."

Besides the excitement of wanting to pull out my Diagnostic Statistical Manual from Psychology class to analyze the psychos, I enjoy watching this show for the insanely eclectic design of this particular New Orleans Home.  And no, I'm not trying to make excuses for my choice of entertainment.  My favorite aspect IS the brain rotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I would love to hear from you!