Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Framing Maps

Pin It
While we're on the subject of maps as artwork, I thought I'd share my Christmas gift (in 2008) to my husband:



It is a map of the Sierra Nevada Range.  Using a rotary cutter, cutting mat and acrylic quilting ruler I sliced the map into nine equal pieces.  In order for them to fit perfectly, I sliced off a bit of the outer edge of the map. The nine acrylic frames are from Aaron brothers.  The front piece attaches to the back via magnets.  The black that you see bordering each piece of map is actually the back of the frame showing through the acrylic.  I can't seem to find a link to the frame on the Aaron Brother's website ...or any information on any website for that matter.  Google magnet frame and acrylic and you get every fridge photo magnet from here to ...... I'll let you know if I can get more information.  To keep them from moving around every time my kids go running up and down the halls, I placed some earthquake putty behind each frame.  Earthquake putty is the best stuff in the world, btw.

Here's a couple links to the supplies I used for this project.  Before I opted for this format, I looked into having Aaron brothers frame each one for me.  It was only going to be nine hundred something bucks so that's always an option too.  ;-)





























































No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I would love to hear from you!