Wednesday, October 26, 2011

DIY Yoda Hat

Pin It
So my son wants to be Yoda for Halloween.  Great! I'll order a cute Yoda hat off Etsy and dye his old karate uniform tan.  Well..... turns out I thought my husband ordered the hat and he thought I ordered it.  And the karate uniform?  Well it is lacking in the hood department and apparently this is vital.


I happened to have some scrap green fleece from a comforter I made a couple Christmases ago.  I cut four pieces into Yoda ear shapes.

Then I turned them right side out, put a pipe cleaner along the top of the Yoda ear and stitched along side it to hold it in place.

I'm so lucky that we had a green hat lying around that my mother crocheted.  I'm sure you could use any existing hat, headband, or perhaps dun dun dun.....make your own?

I pulled the pipe cleaner through the hat and back up into the bottom of the ear, while holding the ear at the appropriate angle (a model is very useful). I hand stitched along the base.  The whole hat took perhaps ten minutes.
The robe is a most impressive display of asymmetrical seams and could be used in a home economics class as an example of how NOT to make a Jedi robe.  It was a Snuggie I found at Savers for $1.99 and has flashing neon lights that scream "HOME MADE by a tired mom!"  In case you are wondering, Yoda is using the force in the above picture.

Of course a red shirt isn't a traditional Yoda color but who knew he could be so cute!

Linked to the following parties:





 </center><center>http://www.thethriftyhome.com 
 

5 comments:

  1. If my husband read this post, he would be drooling and asking me to make this for him! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The costume is cute as it can be...but your model is a doll!

    Some of the cutest pics I've seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cute! Love the yoda costume. Again, super cute son too! Awesome repurposing of the snuggie, that is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute!! It totally worked!
    Thanks for linking up to Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated and I would love to hear from you!